Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The descent to High Camp

The vast majority of climbing accidents occur in the course of descending. A Climber is typically weakened from the demanding effort to reach the summit.  As well, there is a psychological tendency to let one´s guard down once the prize has been obtained.  I try to stay mindful of this, telling myself ¨now bring it home,¨ as the objective shifts to that of returning to the safety of High Camp.

The Team set aside any further celebration for later. We knew we would have to repeat the ridge walk just completed and the seriousness of this shown on everyone´s face.  The wind picked up again as we got underway, but the lessons learned the first time up the ridge removed enough mystery from the pitch that both ropes progressed confidently.

We stopped to rest after descending 1,000 feet to the base of the saddle. Sheltered from the wind and relieved to have completed the most dangerous part of the descent, the Team hydrated and removed heavy layers while chatting excitedly. I called Lin on my satellite phone. At the sound of her voice I began to choke up. With broken pauses, I shared the news we had summitted Antarctica and were now on our way down. Lin was very happy, agreeing to call my Mother and Sons to let them know. ¨Now come home to me,¨ she finished.

The Team eased into High Camp around eight pm. Exhaustion and blistered feet had overtaken any inclination to celebrate our accomplishment.  We half-heartedly forced down some pasta, the last few bites of mine freezing to the bowl before I could consume them.  I climbed into the refuge of my down bag and surrendered to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment